Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Conversations

Certain places just seem to facilitate great conversation. The coffee shop, the quad on a college campus, even the local bar when it isn't overly busy all have a way of making people relax and talk. Perhaps like me you've found yourself at one of these places, having a conversation, suddenly realizing the topic has moved past the weather to more fundamental concepts. Whether you are ready or not, God is calling you to share the Gospel with the person sitting next to you.

So earlier today there I was, standing on a chair, paint can in hand, the smell of marijuana seeping from the window next to me, rain pouring down all around me, and I'm talking about Jesus.

Ok, I should back up. I'm currently working two jobs. During the day I'm working a long term substitute position at a middle school. From there I proceed across town to paint houses. I'm currently working on a rental property inhabited by college students. Usually it's a pretty solitary job. I plug in the IPOD, forget my surroundings, and go to work while my partner does the same on the other side of the house. Today the rain changed that. The only dry place I could work was the porch, which meant my partner and I were working in the same area. Deciding not to be rude, I unplugged the IPOD, and we struck up a conversation.

We talked about everything from the geeky shows we both watch to the election to the residents' apparent drug habits. The next thing I knew he brought up a parody South Park did on Christian music and asked my opinion.

So there I was, standing on a chair, paint can in hand, the smell of marijuana seeping from the window next to me, rain pouring down all around me, and before I realize what's happening I'm talking about Jesus.

I don't know how well I did. We spoke for a few minutes about who Jesus was, I honestly can't say I remember exactly what was said. The moment passed as quickly as it came. Suddenly we were talking about Metallica's new album. At the time it sure didn't seem like anything earth shattering.

However one thing I've learned over the last few years is that I am never going to convert this guy. That's the work of Jesus through the Holy Spirit, and He'll use me however and whenever He chooses.

It makes me wonder, how often is He doing something that I don't even pick up on?

Aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12


 


 

 

No comments: