Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Freedom

It's a great thing to learn about family.

For most of my life I didn't know much about my father's roots. I knew he came from Indiana, and chose to be adopted by his stepfather as a young man. My last name may be Willis, but my family line is actually Arnett. As an adult I have gradually come to learn bits and pieces about his life, and am amazed at what I find.

My grandfather, William Francis Arnett Jr. was born and raised in a small one room shack near Bull's Gap Tennessee. He was a true member of what Tom Brokov called "The Greatest Generation." He lived through The Great Depression, was forced to quit school to support his family, but still chose to eventually return and earn his high school diploma at the age of 20. He then joined the Army Air Corps, and was accepted to pilot school. Soon the boy from Bull's Gap was piloting the experimental new B-29 bombers. On May 11, 1945, Lt. William Arnett Jr. departed Guam with the rest of his crew. He never came home.

As I continued to investigate my grandfather, I learned he was not the first of my family to die in the service of his country. Arnett's were in the first World War as well, and the Civil War. In fact we're fairly certain the very plot of land near Bull's Gap was a gift to members of the Arnett family along with other families that served in the Revolutionary War. The more I learn of my family, the more grateful I am to live in a free country.

Today I continued my reading of the book of Galatians.

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love. Galatians 5:1-6

After reading this a thought entered my head. What if, as his first act as President, George Washington swore fealty to the English crown? What would my forefathers, who had fought and died, think of Washington? Would they think that all their suffering was a waste? What kind of an insult would that be?

Here's the kicker. According to Paul, whenever we Christians chose to live under the law, we are just like George Washington surrendering to the British after the victory had been won. A group of believers were considering becoming circumcised, believing they needed to fulfill all of Jewish law in order to become true Christians. Paul warned them that if they went through with it, everything Christ did for them was worthless.

Paul isn't playing around here. He doesn't offer a soft rebuke of "Oh, you want to get circumcised? Well if it make you feel better go right ahead, just don't forget about Jesus!" Instead he reminds them of the price that was paid for their freedom, and they better live as nothing less than men that were truly free.

This takes me back to my family. As I learn the price that has been paid by my forefathers to provide the political and social freedom that I enjoy, the very thought of giving that away and making myself a slave sickens me. Yet every time I make Christianity about me, the good deeds I do or the spiritual disciplines I practice to draw myself closer to God, I make myself a slave to the law. I slap Christ in the face and tell Him His suffering and death weren't necessary.

The reason my Grandfather fought and died was so his children wouldn't have to. I will always love my grandfather, and be thankful for what he did, but even his sacrifice was less than the sacrifice made by my Lord. He fought the ultimate battle, a battle I never could have won. He gave everything of Himself so that I would be free.

I am free. My freedom comes through faith, that faith itself is a gift, given and sustained in love.

Thank you God.

No comments: